Calgary Metallurgical Laboratory
|4027 - 14th Street S.E.
Calgary, Alberta T2G 3K6, Canada
SGS Ludwig in Calgary has offered expert materials and welding consultation and testing services for industrial applications since 1978. Our accredited testing and engineering services include metallurgical services, mechanical testing, chemical analysis, and engineering services. We specialize in analysis and testing for pipeline, heavy equipment, pressure vessel, and welding applications, along with other industrial applications. Our services include:
- Welding consulting services. SGS offers expert welding services ranging from evaluation of your technology, procedures, and adherence to codes and standards, test requirement development, test supervision, and welder performance testing, Our staff is experienced in CSA, AWS, API, and ASME codes and will assist you in managing your welding project. In addition, we offer expert hot tap welding services.
- Welder performance testing. We offer welder performance testing to ensure that your welders are qualified and certified to industry requirements. Make sure that your team has the welding certifications needed before you begin your construction projects. We maintain ABSA Certificates of Authorization and offer CWB Welder Certification. Our facilities are fully equipped with state-of-the-art welding machines and our machine shop will provide the required coupons for the testing.
- Failure analysis. Our failure analysis lab is staffed by engineers with expertise in investigating and evaluating the causes of material failure or potential failure. We provide easy-to-read annotated and thoroughly documented reports, and each report is characterized by accessible language and definitive conclusions.
- Mechanical testing. SGS’s mechanical testing lab offers seven major types of accredited examinations, including tensile testing, Charpy impact testing, ISO 148 U-notch testing, axial tensile testing, bend testing, surface roughness testing and step bar/frequency severity testing.
- Metallurgical services. SGS’s metallurgical testing services include case depth, microstructure analysis, microhardness, grain size exam, plating thickness and PPAP testing. Our fully equipped labs allow us to perform our testing quickly and accurately and get you the results you need when you need them. We provide certified reports detailing traceable and repeatable documentation showing the testing performed and the data obtained. Each process results in data-rich reports that include clear descriptions of repeatable material examinations.
- Chemical analysis. SGS’s chemical analysis department is led by a team of chemists with over 30 years of experience in analysis and material selection. Base metal analysis is available for materials including plain carbon steel, alloy steel, tool steel, stainless steel, cast and ductile iron, powder metals, brass, bronze and base elements (including aluminum, copper, magnesium, titanium and tungsten).
- Engineering services. SGS’s professional engineers have industry-specific training and experience and are available to provide investigations and analysis for product claims, third-party testing, problem solving and consultations, specification reviews and reverse engineering.
To request a quote or discuss your needs in detail, call 403.262.7072.
Chicago Lab: 708.343.3444
Calgary Lab - 403.262.7072 | Edmonton Lab - 780.468.3030
Montreal Lab - 800.361.1679